Re: diff of TPE editing since the FPWD

* David Wainberg wrote:
>An example of unnecessary ambiguity and complexity? I think it's
>obvious. I assume two things. First, that the determination of covered
>data usage and collection will be necessary with or without the
>party-based approach. Second, that the determination of covered usage
>and collection is alone sufficient. Therefore the party-based definition
>adds unnecessary and avoidable complexity. The ambiguity comes from the
>difficulty in making those party-based determinations. Our conversations
>on this point to date demonstrate this difficulty.

No, I am looking for a forensical example scenario. As I understand it,
you are saying there are cases where you can tell me all the things that
happend, a user visited certain sites, that triggered data flows, then
information about these data flows is handled such and such, and with a
party-based definition it would be difficult for me to tell whether all
that happened was in keeping with the dnt specifications, but with some
cross-site definition that would be much easier.

I assume a proper example would be more complex than this, but in order
to illustrate consider there is a presentation at Yahoo! where someone
says "IP address 1.2.3.4 used Yahoo! search to look for 'apple', then he
changed the query to 'apple fruit', among the results was a flickr link
and after loading that the user clicked through these four apple photos"
and if the user had dnt enabled, I understand you as saying that whether
this can happen while complying with the dnt specifications is difficult
to tell with party-based definitions, but a site-based definition would
make it very easy to tell.

Note that I assume that "who" is very important. If I come by your place
and we have a chat, I won't mind that you obtain and memorize details of
my visit, but if someone follows me around and records all the places I
go in a single database, that would be quite a different thing. In this
sense it seems likely to me that trying to define "cross-site" would end
up in a "cross-party" definition, so there wouldn't be much difference.