Re: diff of TPE editing since the FPWD

On 01/10/2012 06:12 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> 1	Do not track me across differently-branded sites and do not use
> previously tracked/obtained behavioral data from other sites to
> personalize a response.
>
> 0	Use of cross-site tracking and personalization has been
> specifically permitted for this site, as described in section 6.
> User-agent-managed site-specific exceptions.

[Section 4, 4.1]
As mentioned on the call, I was surprised to see this definition of
DNT:0 positioned as a site-specific exception to a general DNT:1
preference. I was expecting (and others on the call seemed to assume) a
quite different approach. My understanding is more as follows:

DNT:1 Tells everyone who receives it that I have a heightened preference
for privacy and against being tracked. First parties mustn't share any
information about me. Third parties must treat me like someone about
whom they know nothing, and remember nothing about me later.

DNT:0 Tells everyone who receives it that I have a preference towards a
personalized service, and consent to tracking. All parties may gather
data and learn about me and should use that information to improve my
experience with them.