Re: diff of TPE editing since the FPWD

I think there's a language ambiguity here.  Some consider "cross-site tracking" to be about correlating user actions on unrelated websites.  Others consider "cross-site tracking" to be about information practices by third-party websites.  In light of the ambiguity, I'd support dropping the term from the Preference Expression document and replacing it with something more neutral.

Moreover, at a higher level, I don't think compliance policy questions belong in that document.  Preference Expression should be a technical vehicle for whatever Compliance and Scope specifies - no more and no less.  I would support clarifying that principle in the documents and trimming the lengthy policy-based introduction from the Preference Expression document.

I am very sensitive to Roy's and Kevin's concern that the group not move away from its consensus that this standard will impose (almost) no limits on first-party conduct.  I believe the current proposals for Compliance and Scope accurately reflect that consensus.  To the extent they don't,  debate should be held in the context of that document, not surrounding an ambiguous turn of phrase elsewhere.

Jonathan