Re: Draft Text on First Parties and Third Parties (ACTION-34, ISSUE-10, ISSUE-26, ISSUE-88)

Colleagues,

I quote from Section 3 of the TPE specification:

"The goal of this protocol is to allow a user to express their personal preference regarding cross-site tracking to each server and web application that they communicate with via HTTP, thereby allowing each service to either adjust their behavior to meet the user's expectations or reach a separate agreement with the user to satisfy all parties."

(I would argue that this should be simply "personal preference regarding tracking," but that is besides the point here.)

Clearly, based on the current iteration of the specification, user expectations are the foundation of the standard we're trying to create.

The beauty of Jonathan's and Tom's proposal is that it recognizes the primary function of user expectations and acknowledges that "Domain names, branding, and corporate ownership may contribute to, but are not necessarily determinative of, user perceptions of whether two parties are distinct."

Yes, users' perceptions may evolve over time and a good standard should allow that.  Example: a few years ago, most users weren't aware of the fact that Google owns YouTube. Now, despite a lack of co-branding I'd say most users understand this. I'd say there is probably a growing awareness that Yahoo owns Flickr.

"Affiliated sites" certainly doesn't offer a clear standard.  What does affiliated mean? Is an affiliated site a subsidiary,  a partner, a site with whom one has a contractual agreement, or perhaps even a site "affiliated" through joint membership in a trade association?

User perception is the key to providing users with the privacy tools to which they are entitled and in most cases sites can easily determine whether they are 1st or 3rd parties.  If they are pushing the envelope, they do so at their own risk.

Finally, if a site has doubts about its status or can't reasonably "infer with high probability that the user knowingly and intentionally communicated with it,"  there is a simple solution: the site should behave as a compliant third party site when encountering an enabled DNT header and not collect and share the users's data.

John

John M. Simpson
Consumer Advocate
Consumer Watchdog