Re: Draft Text on First Parties and Third Parties (ACTION-34, ISSUE-10, ISSUE-26, ISSUE-88)

A couple thoughts:

On 1/5/2012 5:50 PM, Jonathan Mayer wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2012, at 8:33 AM, Justin Brookman wrote:
>
>> I would revise the definition of first party to "A first party is, in
>> a specific network interaction, the operator of the domain with which
>> the user intended to communicate."
>
> On "the operator of the domain":
> You're glossing over the (crucial) definition of "party."  What's an
> "operator of [a] domain"?  PS+1 corporate ownership/control?

I gloss over the definition of party because it's addressed elsewhere.
But you're right, I should have said, "A first party is, in a specific
network interaction, /the party that operates the domain/ . . ."

> On "with which the user intended to communicate":
> Tom and I drafted objective definitions that require a universal,
> straightforward, testable judgement about party divisions and party
> status.  Subjective standards are unworkable - we can't expect a
> website to understand each user's mental state.
I don't see how "with which the user intended to communicate" is any
more subjective than "that can infer with high probability that the user
knowingly and intentionally communicated with it."  I'm not wedded to my
language, but I think tying intent to the specific domain the user's
trying to get to instead of the more vague concept of who the user is
might be trying to "communicate with" on any given domain is more
precise and will make implementation simpler.

>> I would remove the entire section about multiple first parties as I
>> do not believe a realistic example has been presented where that
>> would ever be the case.  In the example of the craigslist/Google Maps
>> mashup, whichever of the two is the actual operator of the domain
>> should be the first party and the other would be the third party (or,
>> if an entirely different entity operates the mashup, as appears to be
>> the case at HousingMaps.com <http://HousingMaps.com>, the operator of
>> HousingMaps is the first party and craigslist and Google are third
>> parties if they're present at all).
>> Third parties can still become first parties if their content is
>> clearly branded and a user meaningfully interacts with the content.
>> Writing a spec for the extreme and unprecedented edge case
>> facebookandmoviefonebothrunthisdomain.com
>> <http://facebookandmoviefonebothrunthisdomain.com> will cause more
>> uncertainty and invite abuse while not solving an actual problem.
>> Domains have one operator; until co-registration becomes an option,
>> sticking with one first party makes sense.
>
> Here's a different multiple first-party use case to motivate the
> issue: examplecompany.tumblr.com <http://examplecompany.tumblr.com>.
>  It's quite clear that both Example Company and Tumblr are providing
> content.
Tumblr is the first party and Example is a third party.  I don't expect
Example to track me on their Facebook page, their Tumblr, or if they
post an ad in Craigslist that I visit.  In practice, I don't believe
passive tracking on third-party platforms is common.  I would be willing
to make exceptions for otherwise third parties that are /proactively
/mashed up by the user (added to an aggregator), though I agree that the
privacy implications are less concerning than the practical
implementation (and the related who-the-hell-embedded-my-content question).
>> I would also add .url shortener services as a specific example of a
>> third party with which the user was not intending to communicate.
>
> Tom and I left URL shortening services as an open ISSUE.  I support
> moving them into the common use cases discussion as, in general, third
> parties.
This is more in response to Heather, but I can't think of a single URL
shortener scenario that looks like a first-party interaction.  If I read
this on Twitter: "Neat WSJ story on #privacy in the cloud: goo.gl/eT3d"
and click on the link, I think the WSJ is the first party and Google is
a third party.  I'm clearly not trying to interact with Google ---
someone just used that service to get under 140 characters, and I could
care less whether they used bit.ly, j.mp, t.co, c.dt or anything else.