Re: Issue 115, exemptions, best practices: Issue 25 and 34

On Feb 27, 2012, at 6:30 PM, Aleecia M. McDonald wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>>> There are no extreme risks. FUD.
>>
>> Karl, my friend hosted a TOR node until the FBI knocked down his door
>> and confiscated all of his computers during the investigation of a child
>> pornography ring.  If you don't know what risks are associated with
>> anonymizing services, then please don't presume to teach industry about
>> privacy.
>
> You have one unlucky friend. My understanding is there was exactly one US confiscation of TOR servers, ever. When the FBI knocked, metaphorically, at Carnegie Mellon's door, just saying "It's a TOR server" was all they needed. Didn't even need to explain TOR. I am told the Pittsburgh FBI are unusually clued.

Same incident, yes, though it didn't play out that way.  That
sounds like the CMU PR version. ;-)

Unfortunately, I don't have a public link to his description,
nor do I want to publish his name.

> Yet I fear I'm not seeing your point. How is kiddie porn linked to DNT? Are you imagining someone would enable DNT but not TOR? I'm not getting the relevance to your anecdote.

That's because Karl quoted me out of context.  I was talking about
why companies don't provide a market in anonymization services
that would allow people on the Internet to buy using the equivalent
of cash.  Liability risks is why.  It has nothing to do with DNT,
nor is it FUD.

....Roy