Re: Issue-107, Issue-120, Issue-124

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:36:55 -0800
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>
To: John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>
On Feb 27, 2012, at 4:11 PM, John Simpson wrote:

> Hi Roy and David,
>
> I was just reading the latest version of the TPE standard dated today, Feb. 27.  As I now read and understand it you've got a response from a well-known URI as a *must* and an HTTP response header as a *may*.

Matthias made the header field a SHOULD as the resolution of ISSUE-105.
I just moved that resolution down to the header proposal section last night.

  http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/105

> Am I reading this right?  I thought we were still trying to decide which is the better method. Have I missed something on the email list?

They are both still in the document.  Sec 5.2 starts with:

  An origin server MAY indicate the tracking status for a particular
  request by including a Tk header field in the corresponding response.
  If a request contains a DNT-field-value starting with "1", an origin
  server SHOULD send a Tk header field in the corresponding response.

The first MAY is for all requests, with or without DNT.  The second is
a SHOULD because that's what ISSUE-105 resolved, IIRC.  I have not
yet made the change suggested by Tom, because I haven't had time to
do any further edits (or figure out exactly what he meant on the call,
since we really didn't have time to discuss it properly).

....Roy