Re: DNT ad tag integration

On 23-2-2012 19:50, Travis Pinnick wrote:
> Per Nick Doty's request, I would like to submit TRUSTe's new
> integrated DNT ad tag solution for discussion / feedback.
>
> The concept is a 'smart' ad tag that is capable of acknowledging a
> user's DNT header and, if DNT is set:
> 1) display an alternate state icon with DNT acknowledgment messaging
> 2) auto set opt-out cookies for ad nets in that particular ad chain

Hi Travis,

I like the idea of chaining the opt-out cookie, but would like to see
the solution in a live situation. At the moment it only demonstrates the
capability of distinguishing between a serving a targeted ad and a
generic ad.

Do I understand you correct and is the idea that it works in the
following use case? A user visits a site (eg the green node story.nl).
At that site admeld.com is servicing the add and pings adnxs.com,
doubleclick.net, 2mdn.net and turn.com, metafiliation.com etc.
(http://www.blaeu.com/uploads/tracking/110827%20gossip%20.html)
Auto-chaining would result in getting opt-out cookies for all the
parties involved in the chain.

I hope the opt-out cookies do get an expiration period of 5 years
minimum. In the EU the opt-out expiration time is very poor and
inconsistent. I also hope the opt-out cookie content stays generic ie.
'OPT-OUT' and does not contain a unique identifier.

One privacy risk in I would like to put on the table is connected to the
dnt_icon.gif. The host from which the dnt_icon.gif is capable of
generating a log with high behavioral tracking entropy. As long as that
log is turned off, or has short retention and silod, the risk may be
migitated.

--
Rob