Re: ACTION-52: Propose specific text for ISSUE-35, ISSUE-52, ISSUE-53, ISSUE-57, ISSUE-58

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:09:45 -0800
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>

On Feb 15, 2012, at 21:13 , Aleecia M. McDonald wrote:

> I made minor modifications to Shane's text to avoid the opt-out language, and added a note that specific trumps general:
>
> As a general principle, more specific settings override less specific settings.
>
> No DNT Signal / No Opt-Out:  Treat as DNT:0
> DNT Signal / No Opt-Out:  Treat as DNT:1
> Opt-Out / No DNT Signal:  Treat as DNT:1
> Opt-Out / DNT Exception:  Treat as DNT:0 for that site; DNT exception is honored
> Please let me know if I did not reflect the discussion on the call.
>
> 	Aleecia

Making sure I get the 'opts' in the right direction;  if I visit ads.com and tell them "OK, you may track me etc.", is that an opt-in, in your definition?  I would expect that to trump the DNT signal (as Aleecia says, a specific communication to ads.com trumps my general communication to 3rd parties in general).

David Singer