tracking-ISSUE-126: DNT-extension syntax includes characters not safe to embed in JSON [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

From: Tracking Protection Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 23:50:10 +0000
To: public-tracking@w3.org
tracking-ISSUE-126: DNT-extension syntax includes characters not safe to embed in JSON [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/126

Raised by: Roy Fielding
On product: Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)

The definition of DNT-extension in the FPWD includes a very wide set of characters because we had not made any decisions about extensions.  However, if the field-value is going to be echoed back to the client, as in the current proposal for the tracking status resource, then we should reduce the characters allowed to a safe set that can be easily embedded in a JSON string.