Re: Issue 115, exemptions, best practices: Issue 25 and 34

On Feb 13, 2012, at 2:23 PM, Mike Zaneis wrote:

> IAB represents hundreds of publishers – large and small – and we have consistently weighed in with their perspective.  Last week we had a long discussion about whether publishers should be required to respond to the header and I continue to believe that such a requirement will result in a W3C standard that has little adoption.
>
> What constitutes an action or inaction being “irrational” depends entirely upon your point of view.  Are you saying that it’s irrational for a small publisher (like these companies), with just a handful of employees, that has never heard of the W3C, to sift through the thousand+ emails a month and participate in this group?  And I’m not sure if participation is free for small companies, but it surely is not free for large publishers.
>
> That being said, I would welcome more participation from publishers and welcome and suggestions.  Perhaps a free membership for companies that make less than $2 million/year?  I bet I could get 100 companies to join the working group.  Would they have voting privileges?
>
> Mike Zaneis
> SVP & General Counsel
> Interactive Advertising Bureau
> (202) 253-1466
>
> Follow me on Twitter @mikezaneis

As a general observation: a post to a mailing list doesn't turn a point of view into reality. Perhaps this is useful to keep in mind for threads where I see people getting highly concerned over conflicting personal opinions, long before we have started to sort out differences and areas of agreement. We don't ship the dlist, just the recommendations.

Mike, I've tried to work with you, both on and off the list, in good faith. Even as recently as last week I've been making the case to policy makers that industry self-regulation is vitally important and must be treated with respect. I expect the same level of respect for the W3C process from all participants in this work. As Matthias and I have repeated since the first meeting in Boston, it is important that participants in the TPWG treat each other civilly. Disagreeing with one another is healthy and to be expected. Trying to derail the process from within is neither.

	Aleecia