From: Jonathan Mayer [mailto:jmayer@stanford.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:12 PM
To: Geoff Gieron - AdTruth
Cc: JC Cannon; Jeffrey Chester; John Simpson; Justin Brookman; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: ACTION-69: Renaming ISSUE-54

I've seen a few suggestions that I'd disagree with on this thread.  Since they seem fairly independent, I'll break them out individually.

1) We should allow social widget personalization because some users might want it.

The same argument applies to any prohibited practice.  That's why the TPE specification provides an explicit exception mechanism.  If a user wants to see more personalized content from a third party or using third-party data, whether stuff their friends liked or (tracking-based) interest-targeted advertising, they can provide an exception.  We mocked up an exception flow for Facebook's social widgets at http://donottrack.us/cookbook/.
[JC] I feel the logged in state is different from standard third-party interaction. As a consumer I don't want to provide an exception our use the cookbook strategy for something I already control. If I don't want the functionality I will log out.

2) Social widget providers are first parties if the user has logged in since the user has a business relationship with the website.

I thought we had agreement in Santa Clara and on the list that third-party widgets become first party by means of user interaction, not logged-in status.
[JC] I agree the widget does not get first-party status, but they should still be able to personalize my experience, which I control. I don't see that as first party functionality.

3) Social personalization isn't the same as third-party data collection.

I don't follow this line at all.  Embedded social content is from a third party, and that third party collects data.  Moreover, the data collection practices currently used for social personalization rely not only on a unique ID-they rely on an ID tied to the user's identity.
[JC] Third parties have the ID information whether DNT is enabled or not. The header tells them their obligations to me as a consumer and whether or not they can process my data.