From: Rob van Eijk [mailto:rob@blaeu.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 12:51 PM
To: Vincent Toubiana
Cc: Shane Wiley; public-tracking@w3.org; rigo@w3.org; JC Cannon
Subject: Re: ACTION-75: Write-up a hybrid of Do Not Profile and Do Not Cross-Site Track

The 6 months needs to be read in the light of the year 2008. Please close read the citation pasted below.
The opinion was and still is directed at a further reduction of the retention period. One of the assumptions
was that limiting retention periods would increase user trust and therefor work as a
competitive advantage for the business. This is where the proportionality principle comes into play.
It is an effective mechanism to balance user and business interests when used wisely.

Citation Opinion 1/2008 on data protection issues related to search engines (WP148):

"If the processing performed by the search engine provider is subject to national
legislation, it must comply both with the privacy standards and with the retention periods
provided for under the legislation of that specific Member State.
If personal data are stored, the retention period should be no longer than necessary for the
specific purposes of the processing. Therefore, after the end of a search session, personal
data could be deleted, and continued storage therefore needs an adequate justification.
However, some search engine companies seem to retain data indefinitely, which is
prohibited. For each purpose, a limited retention time should be defined. Moreover, the
set of personal data to be retained should not be excessive in relation to each purpose.
In practice, the major search engines retain data about their users in personally
identifiable form for over a year (precise terms vary). The Working Party welcomes the
recent reductions in retention periods of personal data by major search engine providers.
However, the fact that leading companies in the field have been able to reduce their
retention periods suggests that the previous terms were longer than necessary.
In view of the initial explanations given by search engine providers on the possible
purposes for collecting personal data, the Working Party does not see a basis for a
retention period beyond 6 months (National legislation may require earlier deletion of personal data).
However, the retention of personal data and the corresponding retention period must
always be justified (with concrete and relevant arguments) and reduced to a minimum, to
improve transparency, to ensure fair processing, and to guarantee proportionality with the
purpose that justifies such retention.
To that effect, the Working Party invites search engine providers to implement the
principle of "privacy by design" which will additionally contribute to further reduce the
retention period. In addition, the Working Party considers that a reduced retention period
will increase users' trust in the service and will thus constitute a significant competitive
advantage.
In case search engine providers retain personal data longer than 6 months, they will have
to demonstrate comprehensively that it is strictly necessary for the service.
In all cases search engine providers must inform users about the applicable retention
policies for all kinds of user data they process."