Re: Advancing the W3C's Overall Agenda

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:55:40 -0800
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
I have to say that I do not feel we are deadlocked or at loggerheads, and that overall I am enormously impressed by the civility of the exchanges and the flexibility exhibited by all, and by the skills of the chairs.

I welcome the input from legislative bodies, and I think we should be mutually informed by them and they by us;  we can learn about social issues, and points of principle (which are truly outside our purview) and they can learn, if they need, about what is possible, and implementable.

I think we are all aware of the need to find the balance of a specification that consumers can respect as achieving something material to respect privacy, when requested, and that industry can respect as implementable, and can be offered to consumers.

Overall, I am a long way from crying 'Uncle!', a long way from looking for an 'ombudsman'.  I hope we never need one, and on current form, I think my hope reasonable.

This is not to say that I don't have major concerns in several areas, or that I think no-one else has them.  What I have is confidence in our ability to engage in productive, challenging, debate and resolution.

David Singer