(unknown charset) Re: Deciding Exceptions (ISSUE-23, ISSUE-24, ISSUE-25, ISSUE-31, ISSUE-34, ISSUE-49)

I disagree with this statement. The FTC has announced five criteria
necessary for "Do Not Track" to be successful; the fourth is that "Do
Not Track" needs to address collection as well as usage. Similarly, the
Article 29 Working Party identified failure to address
collection/retention as a limitation in the existing DAA opt-out
framework. So it is not at all correct to state that regulators are only
interested in use limitations.

That said, I think these regulators have also recognized that a complete
prohibition on third-party collection is not practical or desirable.
Given that the standard currently recognizes that third parties are
frequently going to be allowed to obtain uniquely-identifying user agent
strings despite the presence of a DNT:1 header, I personally don't think
that fixating on client-side versus server-side solutions for frequency
capping or conversion reporting is all that important. However, that
does argue for the need for accountable statements on the part of
complying third-parties (whether through a response header or something
else).

Justin Brookman
Director, Consumer Privacy
Center for Democracy&  Technology