Re: Issue-39: Tracking of Geographic Data

I don't understand how the text of this exemption [exception?] is limited to geo-location, but the subject matter should be part of the exception conversation.  It looks like a use limitation-- If someone is DNT:1, you can either collect and use their IP address for the purposes of targeting them based on location, or you cannot.  You can either show them an ad for a service/good/store proximate to them, or you cannot.  You can either combine geo info with other info to do more targeted-targeting, or you cannot.

I think use cases like you describe that try to draw a line based on some sort of creepiness quotient are going to be impossible to implement. IP is a type of unique identifier, just like a referrer ID is a type of unique identifier, as are other cookies and tags. They need to be treated as such.

[I am also generally against the idea that DNT is only about limiting the perception of tracking and not about actually limiting tracking, but I don't think that you need to agree with me on this point]

Lauren Gelman
BlurryEdge Strategies
415-627-8512
gelman@blurryedge.com