ISSUE-106: Responses on cached objects

From: Matthias Schunter <mts@zurich.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 15:01:14 +0100
To: "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Hi!

My view on ISSUE-106:
- During Brussels I discovered that cached objects can be used for
tracking
- Saying "cached resources imply 'no tracking' does not do the job

Reasoning: If receiving a cached object (with http indication that it
can be cached) without a DNT response, then the user cannot
distinguish whether a site does not implement DNT (and may use this
URL for tracking) or whether a site follows DNT and implies 'no tracking'

Consequence: DNT response headers should be required for cached
objects. Whatever language we decide to use for the header in general
(should vs must; see ISSUE-121) should also apply for cached objects.

Opinions?

Regards,
matthias