Re: [Issue-5] [Action-77] Defining Tunnel-Vision 'Do Not (Cross-Site) Track'

On Feb 2, 2012, at 12:44 AM, David Singer wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2012, at 21:37 , John Simpson wrote:
>
>> How does this approach work in light of the way referrers work?
>
> you would generally be allowed to use the referrer information only in real-time, and not record it.

That is not always an option -- referral data received by some sites
is the essential trail of a contractual obligation and must be kept
for billing, auditing, and fraud prevention purposes.  Likewise,
referral data in aggregate form is essential to both site analytics
and the most rudimentary forms of advertising placement.  We can limit
its retention to those purposes when DNT is enabled and suggest ways
to segregate the data from other operational uses, but we should
accept that it will have to be retained by some sites regardless of
how we define the terms.

....Roy