Re: action-231, issue-153 requirements on other software that sets DNT headers

Dobbs,

I follow your conclusion that the question is not IF, but HOW to
continue the online ad ecosystem. It underlines the disbalance. If only
the current web functioned in such a way that a casual user would even
have a choice to prevent being tagged by not visiting a donut shop. With
innovating services like real time bidding and e-scoring gaining
momentum, it doesn't matter where a user goes online for shopping. The
casual user will often get the same unique tags anyway.

Circling back to the requirements on other software that sets DNT
headers, I would like to table an additional text proposal.

Proposal (changes in CAPITAL):

Change the existing paragraph in the TPE spec to:
A user agent MAY EITHER have a default tracking preference of unset
(not enabled) OR MAY HAVE A DEFAULT TRACKING PREFERENCE OF SET
(ENABLED). IN CASE OF A DEFAULT OF SET (ENABLED), IT IS UP TO THE USER
AGENT TO ACCURATELY REFLECT THE USER'S INTENT DURING INSTALLATION AND
UPDATE. A USER AGENT MUST THEREFOR NOT HAVE A DEFAULT TRACKING
PREFERENCE OF SET (ENABLED) WITHOUT CONSULTING THE USER. A user agent
extension or add-on must not alter the tracking preference unless the
act of installing and enabling that extension or add-on is an explicit
choice by the user for that tracking preference. IT IS UP TO THE USER
AGENT EXTENSION OR ADD-ON TO ACCURATELY REFLECT THE USER'S INTENT DURING
INSTALLATION AND UPDATE. A USER AGENT EXTENSION OR ADD-ON MUST THEREFOR
NOT HAVE A DEFAULT TRACKING PREFERENCE OF SET (ENABLED) WITHOUT
CONSULTING THE USER.

Rob