Re: action-231, issue-153 requirements on other software that sets DNT headers

On Aug 21, 2012, at 17:12 , Tamir Israel <tisrael@cippic.ca> wrote:

> What does a server do when it gets a DNT-1 that is not a UA default, but with no implementation for exceptions?
>
> I think the exceptions are important….

so do we all, but there is little practical difference between

a) a UA that doesn't implement exceptions
b) a UA that's hard-wired to say no
c) a user who always says no

In all cases, the server knows it doesn't get the exception.  The consequence is probably that the user doesn't get the experience that a user who does grant an exception would have got (else, why ask?).

Again, we do not need lots of rules.  We need protocol definitions.

> On 8/21/2012 8:05 PM, Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) wrote:
>>
>> Hypothetical situation here. Server gets a DNT:1 request from a browser. Browser ships DNT:1 by default. Browser doesn't implement exceptions. Browser may or may not block third party cookies by default. What exactly is the server supposed to do in this case?
>>
>> -Ian
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> Jeff,
>>

>> I disagree both on your philosophical position (compliant Servers must honor non-compliant UAs) but more importantly as part of the working group process.  Hopefully we can review this (again) at the next TPE weekly meeting.
>>

>> - Shane

David Singer