W3C F2F logistics for Bellevue, WA

From: JC Cannon <jccannon@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 05:32:23 +0000
To: Tracking Protection Working Group WG <public-tracking@w3.org>
Here are the logistics for the next face to face. Microsoft will cover the meeting room costs. Food will be provided by Yahoo, Google and Facebook. Others are welcome to provide funding for food or receptions. I understand some groups may want to have separate receptions, so feel free to do so. Let me know if you would like me to help you find something or setup an event. Also, feel free to call me if you get lost. Let me know if I forgot anything.

Location of meetings
Day 1
Microsoft (City Center, 2nd floor)
555 NE 110 Ave (Corner of NE 6th and 110th. Next to bus terminal)
Bellevue, WA

Days 2 & 3 (did you really think we would be in the same room all three days!)
Microsoft (Bravern 2, 12th floor)
11025 NE 8th Street (Corner of NE 8th and 110th)
Bellevue, WA

Reception for both buildings is on the second floor, opens at 8:00 and closes at 5:00.
Everyone will need to register and get a visitor's badge. You must have an escort while walking through the building. I will need a list of attendees names and companies to help streamline check-in.

JC Cannon jccannon@microsoft.com<mailto:jccannon@microsoft.com>  206.910.4049
Amy Colando acolando@microsoft.com<mailto:acolando@microsoft.com>
Euan Grant euan.grant@microsoft.com<mailto:euan.grant@microsoft.com>

Buses (Getting to/from airport)
Cab or town car is a 30-min ride to downtown Bellevue for ~$50. You catch them in the airport garage on the third floor.

The 560 bus will take you to downtown Bellevue in 40 mins for $2.50. Get off at last stop. The airport bus stop is out the arrival door to the right at the end of the terminal.

The 550 bus leaves from the transit center to downtown Seattle pretty often. It's a 40-min ride and costs $2.50. The transit center is between the Bravern and City Center. (It is reasonable to get a hotel in Seattle and take the 550 in to Bellevue in the morning. A cab would be ~$25.) I feel there are two bus stops of particular interest:

Pioneer Square
Second downtown, tunnel stop. Lots of night clubs in the area. Walking down hill takes you to the waterfront and the ferries. The ferry to Bainbridge is well worth the trip. Great view of Seattle from the water. About a $4, 30-minute ride. Free coming back.

Westlake Center
Fourth downtown, tunnel stop. The Seattle shopping district. Lots of restaurants. The Pike place Market (flying fish) is at Pike and 1st. Continuing North from the market will take you to the sculpture garden along the waterfront.

This link will help you find hotels in downtown Bellevue. The map<http://www.visitbellevuewashington.com/download/Directions_map.pdf> shows other hotels and their distance from the Bravern, which is the site of the meetings. Below are my suggestions.

Rate: High
Entertainment: nearby
Distance: Across the street

Silver Cloud
Rate: Moderate
Entertainment: distant
Distance: 3.5 blocks.
http://www.silvercloud.com/bellevuedowntown/ 3 blocks away

Coast Hotel
Rate: Low
Entertainment: distant
Distance: 1.5 blocks. Walk can be challenging because it includes a highway entrance ramp.

Rate: High
Entertainment: adjoining
Distance: 3.5 blocks

Rate: High
Entertainment: nearby
Distance: 4 blocks

The Bravern has three restaurants:
John Howie - decent happy hour, expensive steak dinner. Noisy.
Wild Ginger - decent happy hour, moderately priced Asian food. Hard to get seats
Blue Martini - great happy hour, moderately priced continental cuisine. Noisy, but people tend to like the waitress outfits.

El Gaucho is at City Center. Mediocre happy hour and expensive food. Best atmosphere.

Daniels is at the Hyatt on the 21st floor. Best view in town. Nice happy hour. Expensive steak dinner.

Lincoln Square is at the Westin. It has a movie theatre, video arcade, bowling, pool hall and several restaurants.

Rock Bottom and Tap House are at NE 6th and 106th. Inexpensive beer joints. Decent ambiance.

Lot No 3 and Purple are upscale restaurants at NE 4th and 106th.

Black Bottle is at Bellevue Way and 110th. My favorite! Great happy hour, ambiance and inexpensive food. I'll be there Tuesday night. Just ask the hostess for JC.

City of Bellevue Websites

Downtown map

Bellevue Restaurants