Re: Behavior of user agents after granting exceptions

Hi Rigo,

I'm seeking clarification here. If DNT:1 were the default state, wouldn't turning it off or granting a user exception to a site constitute meaningful consent to be tracked -- receive cookies, etc. -- under the European approach?

Best,
John

On Apr 14, 2012, at 7:38 AM, Rigo Wenning wrote:

> On Friday 13 April 2012 22:10:48 Matthias Schunter wrote:
>> This heuristics is in general not permitted as the default. Installed as
>> default (without obtaining a user preference), it would send DNT;1's
>> that do not reflect any collected preference
>
> To further the violent agreement, let me add that DNT expressions without
> being a reflection of the user's express intent would not fulfill the EU
> requirements for consent either. If we say DNT is a reflection/expression of
> a user's preference, we have to constrain it to something that at least
> remotely has something to do with a willful act from the user.
>
> Best,
>
> Rigo

John M. Simpson
Consumer Advocate