Re: action-159 Draft shorter language to describe conditions for consent

From: Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:26:58 -0400
Cc: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
To: Tracking Protection Working Group WG <public-tracking@w3.org>
David and I were tasked with coming up with a shorter piece of text on standards for out-of-band override of a user's DNT preference (that is, contra to a user-agent-managed site-specific exception). This proposal is meant to avoid getting in to the details of a particular model of consent (leaving that up to the implementer and the particular jurisdiction's regulator) while specifying what would be necessary to match our understanding of a user's expressed preference.

> Sites MAY override a user's DNT preference if they have previously received _distinct, affirmative, informed consent_ to track the user.

(Really, we're just proposing these three adjectives, and I'm guessing that something like this sentence would go around them, but I leave that up to the editors. Also, this doesn't speak to the tracking response question, which I believe we have broad consensus on but is likely taken up elsewhere.)

From a handful of coffee conversations, it seems like this short set of descriptors might be amenable to various stakeholders.

Thanks,
Nick