From: Ashkan Soltani [mailto:ashkan.soltani@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:50 AM
To: Mike Zaneis
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org Group WG
Subject: Re: Summary of First Party vs. Third Party Tests

FWIW

In 2009, we looked into this issue somewhat in 2009 and found that many large web companies can have as many as 2000 'affiliates' based on the GLB definition<http://www.sec.gov/rules/final/34-42974.htm#P84_20157> (average was 297).  Summary here<http://knowprivacy.org/affiliates.html> and full report<http://knowprivacy.org/full_report.html>. Additionally, the privacy policies of most of these sites stated that they shared data with affiliates<http://knowprivacy.org/images/policies_large.jpg> but they did not share data with 3rd parties.

I think one issue here is that most consumers would not immediately comprehend this technical distinction and would potentially consider a company like Fox separate from say the social network, Myspace.

Perhaps something to consider as we work through these definitions.
-a