Re: Summary of Options for 1P Learning of 3P DNT Status

Before postMessage, inter-frame communication often used the window.location.hash property.  For an example, see http://www.onlineaspect.com/2010/01/15/backwards-compatible-postmessage/

>> 2) The third party notifies the first party through backend communication.  For example, the the first and third parties share a unique session identifier, and the first party makes a RESTful call to the third party.
>
> You might mean an HTTP request here. RESTful has also a precise
> meaning that I have rarely seen in deployed APIs.

The implementation could be RESTful.  It need not be.  Just an example.

>> Drawbacks:
>> -The first and third parties have to establish a shared identifier, add support for a backend protocol, and do realtime backend data sharing
>
> what do you mean by realtime?

For most of the use cases we've discussed, a first party has to know each third party's Do Not Track status during page load.