Re: ISSUE-5: What is the definition of tracking?

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 06:39:13 -0400
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org Group WG" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: JC Cannon <jccannon@microsoft.com>

Le 23 oct. 2011 à 12:51, JC Cannon a écrit :
> around the concerns of online data collection and not perpetuate the hyperbole that ANY SITE can see everywhere I go, everything I do, everything I look at, and everything I buy.

The news this morning [1] about physical beacons,
aka data which are aggregated by an external way
(not on the Web), is another interesting issue.
I believe with the internet of things, it will
grow.

So maybe we should add a Web-only constraint on our tracking definition.
Because I'm pretty sure we will not be able to address the full spectrum
of tracking.

[1] Using Credit Cards to Target Web Ads
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052970204002304576627030651339352-lMyQjAxMTAxMDIwNDEyNDQyWj.html

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/