RE: Web Tracking: Facts on the Ground

Sorry to jump in late here.

My take is that regardless of the debate about "targeting" or behavioral
ads, one of the areas that is central to understand in order to assess the
impact of not tracking is "measurability".  Banner ads are a limited medium
compared to the richness of some other media, but what makes them attractive
to advertisers is that they can be measured.  An advertiser using a third
party ad server can deliver ads across many hundreds of publishers and by
setting and recording cookies can learn how many unique users saw the ad,
how many users who saw which ad on which site later visited their site, how
many users exposed to the ad ended up purchasing or registering.  And if
they don't directly drive sales, they can survey users who have been exposed
to ads across sites they can assess the branding value of the advertising.
All this is dependent on tracking across a large range of web publishers.
Most reporting by ad servers in this manner results in aggregate reports for
each advertiser, but is based on the ad server's cookie level log files.

In the early days of online advertising, there were publishers that served
their own ads, and refused to allow third party ad serving/tracking.  They
were worried about the lag time of third party ad servers, the privacy of
their users, or other companies having insight into user activity, or
preferred to be able to report themselves on the number of unique users that
saw the ad.  Information across sites was apples and oranges, with
advertisers getting widely varying results for the same campaigns.  Large
advertisers didn't want to have to do business with thousands of small sites
and didn't want to have to ship creative to all those sites and get back
reports that didn't fit together. Spending was consolidated on Alta Vista,
Lycos, AOL, Yahoo and others.

Strong pressure from advertisers eventually forced all publishers to accept
third party ad serving and tracking by advertisers.  At AOL, we had market
power to hold out longer than others, but eventually needed to go along.

Today, Facebook is the only site of note that is able to demand that it
serve ads itself..third party ad servers cant track ads delivered with
cookies (unless a user clicks, of course).

Just some thoughts.