RE: Call for Experts: How can a site determine whether it is 1st or 3rd party?

I am certainly not qualified to respond to a "call for experts", but I am willing to participate in the discussions.

-----Original Message-----
From: public-tracking-request@w3.org [mailto:public-tracking-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Matthias Schunter
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:56 AM
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Call for Experts: How can a site determine whether it is 1st or 3rd party?

Hi Team,

during our F2F we agreed that we need a way for a site to determine whether it is acting as 1st or 3rd party.

I'd like to form a sub-team of experts to design proposals how this can be achieved and/or identify technical limitations.

Working Definition (may be refined by the sub-group):
- 1st party: The site that the user visits directly (e.g. by
    typing the URL)
- associated parties: Other sites (with different URLs) that may
    be exempted. E.g. co-branded sites such as
      lotus.com that belongings to IBM (and may be run on
      same or different infrastructure)
- 3rd parties: All other sites

Challenge:
- How can a site tell in what category it is (wrt a request).

If you are interested to join the group, drop me a line.
Note that the goal is just to prepare proposals that will then be discussed in a larger group.

Regards,
 matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Schunter, MBA
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory,  Ph. +41 (44) 724-8329