Re: tracking-ISSUE-81: Do we need a response at all from server?

* JC Cannon wrote:
>We think the topic of a response to the DNT header will require a fair
>amount of further discussion.  We think that a number of other issues
>should be resolved first before we can reach a consensus on whether it
>should be sent and what it means. Here are some specific concerns:

If the expectation is that everyone will honour the signal then there is
no need for and no benefit in any kind of response; on the contrary, if
there was a way to convey that the signal is being ignored, that would
validate not honouring it as this option is part of the system. Further,
if the user says "I do not want this" and the server says "I will do it
anyway", that would seem to be a "consent" problem in Europe. I am not
sure why anyone would make it explicit that they ignore the signal: the
alternative to send nothing would seem preferable until browsers were to
regard the absence of a positive response as reason to stop sending any
requests to the host or resource in question, or some similar measure.