RE: Issue-17, Issue-51 First party obligations

From: Kevin Smith <kevsmith@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:26:26 -0800
To: John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
CC: Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>, JC Cannon <jccannon@microsoft.com>, "<public-tracking@w3.org> (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
For me personally, I am very familiar with YouTube and know that they are owned and strongly integrated into Google, and so would not be surprised that I was tracked across those sites.  However, I am not a Flickr user, and was unaware of their affiliation with Yahoo (although I think Shane makes a pretty clear argument if you have to log in with your Yahoo credentials), and so if I followed someone else's link to their flickr page, I may be surprised to have that connected to Yahoo chat.

My point is, that not only are user expectations going to be vastly different, but that a single user's expectations will differ based on their experience with the sites in question.  Unfortunately, we need to come up with a standard for all sites and all users, so to me, "user expectations" do not always make a compelling argument.

I think we need to state what we are trying to solve and then work towards solving that, because there is no solution that will meet a majority of user's expectations.  I think that education has to fill that gap.