RE: Issue-17, Issue-51 First party obligations

Thanks Sean.  The only element I would add to your explanation is that in the event the first party website has tags or other content from third parties on the first party page, those third parties would also receive the DNT signal (via redirects) and would respect that DNT signal as third parties.

Absent some sort of user override, of course.

From: Sean Harvey [mailto:sharvey@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:10 AM
To: Jeffrey Chester
Cc: JC Cannon; John Simpson; <public-tracking@w3.org> (public-tracking@w3.org)
Subject: Re: Issue-17, Issue-51 First party obligations

Hi Jeff,

On the point below I think you are expressing the majority opinion of the group, and that everyone is largely saying the same thing. If anyone disagrees, please speak up because this is I think the understanding the editors were under based on all of the previous discussions on the email chains and the in-person meetings.

My current understanding based on the dialogue we've had thus far is that first parties are not allowed to pass DNT-on user info to a third party data provider, or leverage third party data in the customization of the ad unit for a DNT-on user.

The key point is that "third party" is not limited to the "third party" that the browser sees, e.g. a third party domain relative to the web page's base URL. And in fact in some cases a "third party" may be a first party, i.e. a Facebook like button after it has been clicked/"liked".

Given the extensive conversation we've had on this topic to date, I do believe this is everyone's understanding already. Please speak up if I am mistaken.

With respect to Mr. Simpson's statement, I do not believe that this has been the understanding of the group to date. For example, if I as a voracious nytimes.com<http://nytimes.com> reader have DNT on, the consensus to date of the group had been prior to Mr. Simpson's email been that the New York Times can still know who I am, but that they cannot pass this information on to third party advertising/data partners, and that those who advertise on the New York Times are not allowed to collect my user data. I'm not suggesting we can't re-open this conversation, merely stating the status of the conversations of this committee to date.

sean