Re: Action 13 - Mandatory Server Response

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:49:33 +0100
Cc: "Tracking Protection Working Group WG (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@adobe.com>
Roy,

looking through previous discussion of dynamic DNT response headers and "Vary: DNT", about the most extensive explanation I see is:
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2011Oct/0044.html

> Note that this would require all responses from that server
> to disable shared caching ("Vary: DNT").  I think that is a non-starter.

Just from the protocol definition, that conclusion doesn't follow (using the httpbis draft):
	http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p6-cache-17#section-3.5

I vaguely recall that you had the behaviors of particular implementations in mind in previous discussions.

Care to put on the record in a bit more detail what that was all about?

> If any DNT response is given, it should be restricted to responses
> that are already intended to be non-cacheable (e.g., custom content
> and advertising placements).

Thanks,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>  (@roessler)