Re: tainted uris in document and HTTP redirection

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:47:56 -0500
Cc: "(public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: "Aleecia M. McDonald" <aleecia@aleecia.com>

Le 22 nov. 2011 à 17:07, Aleecia M. McDonald a écrit :
> This is a great example.

:)

> From a DNT perspective, does it matter where or how the redirect happens? I do not think so.

The user entered  http://www.nynyhotel.com/
and finally reaches http://www.newyorknewyork.com/

The user doesn't know

* he/she went through http://clk.atdmt.com/
* if it was a simple redirect (just like a proxy would do) or a tracking trick.
* if this tracking, in a more global context, is aggregating his/her behavior across sites.

>  Karl, could you please tell me, where do you think I am going wrong?

It entirely depends on your expectations. :)
This is entirely contextual to the user perspective.
Some users will freak out, some will not care.

Basically what is the issue we are trying to solve for users?
I guess it is what Bjoern was asking previously too.
The DNT:1 is advertised as a tool for users when it seems to be a tool for servers. :)

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/