Re: "cross-site"

From: David Wainberg <dwainberg@appnexus.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:46:01 -0500
To: John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>, "public-tracking@w3.org WG (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Isn't the "cross-site" or "across-site" definition all we need? If a 1st
party has cross-site data, wasn't it, by definition, collected as a 3rd
party in some contexts? So what would be 1st party cross-site data? Is
there such a thing? If all the data is collected in the 1st party
context, haven't we all but agreed that it won't be within our
definition of cross-site tracking? Or are some people saying that a
party that has a 1st party relationship with a user has an unqualified
ability to collect data on completely unrelated sites, even with DNT:1?