"cross-site"

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:46:46 -0600
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Hello,

Congratulations on getting a WD out.

Regarding <http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-tracking-dnt-20111114/>, the draft makes liberal use of the term "cross-site."

I could suggest leveraging the work happening in the IETF regarding "origin" <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-websec-origin>, if that's the intent, or concepts in DNS, if that's the intent.

However, I think what you're *really* looking for is a term that's less technical and more legal / societal / organisational; something analogous to what people occasionally call "administrative domain" and which your introduction obliquely refers to using variants of the term "party."

I think this distinction is important, because using a (pseudo-) technical term as the basis of DNT's semantics opens it to technical circumvention.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/