Re: Action 32 -- Proposed language for site-specific exception

* Aleecia M. McDonald wrote:
>And for me the biggie:
>	- The users who have DNT on (which is a superset of users who
>will opt back in) are far more likely to be among the subpopulation of
>users who manage their cookies. Designing a solution that is least
>likely to work for the population most likely to use it seems like a
>problem to me.

If users demand being able to configure do not track settings on a per-
site basis, I would expect Opera for instance to offer this under their
generic site preferences; browser extensions offer such functionality
for other browsers which could similarily be extended. If studies show
a large percentage of users are asking for this, the proper solution
would likely be a mechanism similar to how browsers let you configure
per-site geo location access permissions, but making it easy to convey
one's current geo location is actually useful for users while enabling
third party tracking only on a few select sites is unlikely to do so
for a large group of users.

(Keep in mind, for instance, that the site would have to allow users
to genuinely make the choice, otherwise the third parties can assume
tracking is okay because it's someone using that particular site, and
many things that are currently implemented via tracking could also be
implemented with less or even no notable tracking; similarily, for a
number of purposes, the first party could collect data on its own and
provide appropriately minimized usage data to the third parties, so
this seems to be a bit of a solution looking for a problem.)