Re: Issue-4

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:11:13 +0900
Cc: Tracking Protection Working Group WG <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: "Aleecia M. McDonald" <aleecia@aleecia.com>
I think a number of us argued that the question itself was malformed:

       "What is the default for DNT in client configuration (opt-in or opt-out)?"

in that it implies that there are only two choices for the default, when in fact there is at least a third ("not stated").

In general, protocols are designed such that default values can also be explicitly stated, and currently we don't have a "not stated" explicit value, either.  Do we need one ("DNT:<blank>", perhaps)?

I tend to the view that the default value is the state of affairs existing before DNT was made available to users, i.e. "not stated".

David Singer