Re: ISSUE-95: May an institution or network provider set a tracking preference for a user?

I agree with Andy that in an enterprise setting an IT administrator ought to be able to configure each user agent in his network on behalf of each user or have guidelines as to how they should be set.  It should be done on each user agent and not through an intermediary.

Similarly in a public institutional setting - such as a library - DNT could be enabled for all user agents.

Regards,
John Simpson

On Oct 31, 2011, at 10:31 AM, Andy Zeigler wrote:

> In many managed enterprise environments, IT administrators configure a variety of security and privacy settings on behalf of their users. Additionally, they can prevent users from configuring certain settings themselves. For example, In Internet Explorer, administrators can enable phishing and malware protection, and force Internet Explorer to clear its browsing history on exit.
>
> I think that enterprise administrators should be allowed to configure the DNT preference the same way that they configure other privacy and security settings. Even if it's specifically disallowed in the specification, they will do so anyway, either by use of proxy software or by instructing their users to turn it on. I think we should either remove this requirement, or give an exception to enterprises and other managed computing environments.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

John M. Simpson
Consumer Advocate