Re: Summary of First Party vs. Third Party Tests

Just to be clear, I am not advocating for a policy result that's
necessarily different. I'm advocating what I think is an easier and more
scalable way to get there. We should address directly the real
underlying rationale for the 1st vs 3rd party distinction: what a user
reasonably thinks they've consented to under various circumstances. For
example, a user's intentional visit to a site would, in my view, be
sufficient implied consent for tracking on that site (e.g. Amazon). A
framework that measures consent will be much easier to build and then
apply to myriad relationships between parties and users, especially the
weird cases like toolbars, widgets, and URL shorteners.