RE: ISSUE-95: May an institution or network provider set a tracking preference for a user?

Resending -- it seems that this was dropped on the server.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Zeigler
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 10:32 AM
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: RE: ISSUE-95: May an institution or network provider set a tracking preference for a user?

In many managed enterprise environments, IT administrators configure a variety of security and privacy settings on behalf of their users. Additionally, they can prevent users from configuring certain settings themselves. For example, In Internet Explorer, administrators can enable phishing and malware protection, and force Internet Explorer to clear its browsing history on exit.

I think that enterprise administrators should be allowed to configure the DNT preference the same way that they configure other privacy and security settings. Even if it's specifically disallowed in the specification, they will do so anyway, either by use of proxy software or by instructing their users to turn it on. I think we should either remove this requirement, or give an exception to enterprises and other managed computing environments.

Thanks,

Andy

ISSUE-95: May an institution or network provider set a tracking preference for a user?

http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/95

Raised by:
On product: