Re: Should we treat 1st and 3rd parties differently?

* Kevin Smith wrote:
>Sorry - I tried to send this the day after our last call, but the
>presentation exceeded the mailing list's 512k file limit.

MB I believe and send a link to the message in the archive available via
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/>, for what it's worth.

The way I understand it, "do not cross track" is a misnomer; as it is in
your presentation, it really just means your actions on one site should
not affect your experience on another site. You do mention "silo" but it
seems that apart from that it does not affect tracking at all, and it is
not very likely that an advertising network would silo data any better
than not executing joins over certain tables during ad-selection.

Here in Germany web sites are putting popular widgets behind shims where
you have to first activate the widgets before you can use them, before
they become active and could result in the widget operator tracking any-
one; they do this even though the widget operators claim they do not use
the "visit" data so obtained to adapt content or advertising (for now).

That your behavior on one site should not affect your experience on some
other site is something very tangible and easy to define and build con-
sensus around, considering there are plenty of opt-out buttons for this
already, but it would be disingenuous to call that tracking protection.