Issue-39: Tracking of Geographic Data

From: Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 21:36:54 -0800
To: "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Issue-39, Tracking of geographic data (however it's determined, or used)
Draft: Shane Wiley
Edit: David Singer
We have talked about this as a group a few times, and it seems as though consensus is likely to fall somewhere between it's ok to identify country of origin and it's not ok to go to zip-plus-four level. The final details, and how we express that in an international context, has not been put into text.

Proposal:  I believe discussion of geographic information is outside the scope of the working group if it is generally agreed our core focus is on data collection and use across non-affiliated or non-commonly branded web sites.

Geographic location data collection and use is a significant privacy topic - especially with the emergence of GPS enabled mobile devices resulting in precise geographic location - and would recommend this topic be picked up by the Privacy Interest Group (http://www.w3.org/2011/07/privacy-ig-charter.html).