Re: Agenda: Global considerations F2F meeting 11-12 Berlin

Vinay,

On Wednesday 06 March 2013 09:09:58 Vinay Goel wrote:
>  In the EU example, that means honoring DNT as it relates to interest
> based cross-site advertising and then using a window shade/some other
> consent mechanism for use cases covered by law but not by DNT.

1/ Window shades are sooo ugly!! Designers fight over 10x10 pixels and
here we have those ugly banners? Nobody wants that, not even the most
fundamentalist DPA or Privacy activists. Do we want to contribute to
such a politics and technological accident/crash? Or can we do better?

2/ If you do window shades, you don't need to do DNT anymore. If you do
both, you create a mess as you don't know what the relation of both are.
Does a DNT opt-out apply even though somebody clicked past a window
shade saying the opposite?

3/ Window shades may buy you something under the current regime in the
UK. I doubt they will buy you anything on the continent and once the
regulation is in place. I may get a knife in my back from DPAs here, but
I don't want to be responsible for having ugly (mostly meaningless
purely bureaucratic) window shades plastered all over web sites in
Europe.

4/ There will be some need for interaction, but this should be reduced
to the relevant things. I believe DNT is the right tool to achieve that
for the Web. I doubt, this will work beyond the Web.

> I don't think DNT will get rid of those ugly window shades for global
> companies unless the laws change. And understanding that changing the
> laws is highly unlikely, I think the window shades are going to stay
> (for global companies).

I think Walter tried already to explain it to you. There is a provision
in the regulation that allows DNT to be the thing that allows for
consent without window shades. So the fatality (without changing the
law) does not exist. The ePrivacy Directive is already there to help us
with Whereas 66. Years of preparatory work of many technologists can
become fruitful. By excluding DNT as a consent mechanism (and consent
has many shades of gray), you exclude the solution. But then, DNT:0 has
no meaning for a global company as they do not implement it.

Nobody said it is easy. Kimon said it is complex. But I believe we can
make it.

Confronted with window shades for first parties and DNT for third
parties, I will rather surf with third parties in the future. :)

 --Rigo