From: Rigo Wenning [mailto:rigo@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 02:41 PM
To: David Wainberg <david@networkadvertising.org>
Cc: Haakon Bratsberg <haakonfb@opera.com>; public-tracking-international@w3..org <public-tracking-international@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Agenda: Global considerations F2F meeting 11-12 Berlin

David,

On Monday 25 February 2013 15:13:40 David Wainberg wrote:
> I definitely do not understand the need to define DNT:0. Why is it not
> NOT  DNT:1?

in the US market, there is no restriction. The absence of DNT:1 means I
can do whatever.

in a regulated market like in France, there is a general prohibition of
processing personal data unless you have a legal justification. In the
absence of a DNT signal, you have certain restrictions. Receiving DNT:1
just reinforces those restrictions. The restrictions may go even beyond
what DNT:1 says, as local law will prevail.

So if DNT:0 means the absence of DNT:1, sending DNT:0 has no meaning and
thus the legal restrictions remain in place. So whether you are sending
DNT:1 or DNT:0, you will always be in the mode with restrictions.

If we define DNT:0 as "you can collect whatever you feel like" there is
another legal limitation kicking in. This is like going into a shop and
saying: "I buy". The sales person will ask "buy what"? And you'll
stubbornly keep on saying "I buy". The "I buy" simple has no object.

So we have to give more contour to the DNT:0. And there we have a second
beneficial effect: At the current UK window shade consent like system
for cookies, they have a long+large text that then points to a privacy
policy with 22 pages of legalese.

If we define DNT:0 to reflect the normal advertisement scenario, this
will count as "knowledge" and a service doesn't have to declare
everything again. You would only have to inform about the delta, about
the things you do beyond what the definition of DNT:0 is. This makes
DNT:0 very user friendly. We need a user friendly DNT:0 because we want
to have very low barriers for getting to a DNT:0. Otherwise the system
will create too high a burden to get to acceptance.

This is very roughly why we need to define DNT:0. DNT:0 is good for the
regulated market and good for those who want to let the user control
certain aspects of their system.

 --Rigo