Re: Agenda: Global considerations F2F meeting 11-12 Berlin

Hi Chris,

Thanks for excerpting more context at the bottom, as well as being specific on your concern. That's helpful. If you will please look at what I wrote, I was not offering my view on the state of Canadian law. I was reiterating what we heard at the first workshop, implicitly explaining why likely we have not seen very much Canadian involvement to date, and explicitly suggesting involvement now would not be a productive use of time. The slides from the workshop are available online [1]. The contemporaneous summary of the presentation [2] reads, in full:

	Andrew Patrick from the Canadian Office of the Privacy Commissioner (slides) provided the provocative slide that current Web tracking was breaking the law in Canada and argued against letting trackers off the hook too easily.

I think that you will find that congruent with the summary I offered, and both seem to match the slides.

If you believe the presentation from the Canadian Office of the Privacy Commissioner was originally inaccurate, or if things have changed over time, that's worth noting your view. That your legal counsel in Canada agrees is also interesting, and good for me (and likely others) to hear. Thank you for taking the time to have that conversation, and for sharing the results.

I believe I accurately conveyed the highlights of the meeting. You seem to claim below that I did not. You might confirm with others who attended, but the texts do support me here rather strongly. One of the things I have tried to do is be very sure to keep summaries of events as reality-based as humanly possible. Again, feel free to disagree with the speaker, but my summary of the presentation at Princeton seems on the mark.

Could you explain what you mean by the word "threatening"? I've re-read the message I sent and cannot figure out where that part comes from. Also, I do not understand what you mean by not-so-veiled accusations. I summarized a talk, a thing that happened two years ago. Where is your threat?

	Aleecia

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/track-privacy/slides/Patrick.pdf opens with a slide that reads, in full, "web trackers are breaking the law*" and then goes on to discuss nuance in future slides.
[2] http://www.w3.org/2011/track-privacy/report.html