From: Rob van Eijk
Sent: Thursday, October 19 2017, 4:51 pm
To: Rob van Eijk; Robin Berjon; public-tracking-comments w3.org
Subject: RE: Mapping DNT to GDPR

FYI:

Today's vote on the LIBE report of the ePrivacy Regulation is important for DNT. Article 8 (d) contains an opt-out for audience measurement. It is an angle DNT may play an important role. Two points that relate to Robin's question.

"If it is technically necessary for measuring the reach of an information society service requested by the user; provided that such measuement is carried out by the provider or on behalf of the provider, or by a web analytics agency acting in the public intrest including for acientific purpose; that the data is aggregated and the user is given the possibility to object; and further provided that no personal data is made accessible to any third party and that such measurement does not adversely affect the fundamental rights of the user; Where audience measuring takes place on behalf of an information society service provider, the data collected shall be kept separate from the data collected in the course of audience measuring on behalf of other providers;

Another interesting element I picked up is that DNT is still a key element.

Article 10 "For the purpose of (...) giving or withdrawing consent persuant to Article 9(2) of this (ePrivacy) Regulation, and objecting to the processing of personal data persuant to Article 21(5) of the GDPR, the settings shall lead to a signal based on thechnical specifications which is sent to the other parties to inform them about the users's intentions with regards to consent or objection. The signal shall be legally valid and be binding on, and enforceable against, any other party."

The ePR text is not final yet, but this is an imortant milestone in the legislative process.

Rob