Re: Phasing out mouse compatibility events on tap?

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 18/01/2015 05:36, Sangwhan Moon wrote:
>
>  I'm with Olli on this one. Also, with some browsers implementing the
>> changed model and some not (I can't see Safari or Presto changing at
>> this point), I can't see how this would make life significantly easier
>> for content authors.
>>

> I admit that even I can only see a marginal advantage here, particularly
> as to solve "double click handling" authors will still need the "this event
> is a compat event / the result of a touch event" API discussed separately,
> so they'll still need to modify their code regardless (at which point they
> can add a "is this a derived event" check to their mouse* handler functions
> too - unless we ARE saying that's a performance hit).
>
> Not trolling, but wondering: with regards to Presto, are there any
> browsers on touch devices still using Presto? Old Android devices not
> capable of upgrading to Chromium-based Opera? (I'm guessing older desktop
> installations, as well as TVs and STBs, but these don't have touch events,
> so would be unaffected by this proposed change)

While disclosing the number isn't possible for obvious reasons, I just
checked and yes, there is a notable amount of active installations on
Android as of today. I don't know much about the other platforms though.

I'm even seeing quite a few people posting reviews today. (this is no
secret, since the reviews are public)

As for Safari, I'm working on the assumption that Apple - since they
> steadfastly refuse to consider Pointer Events - have tacitly /
> off-the-record agreed to try and make Touch Events environment more
> powerful instead by implementing (or at least considering) these sorts of
> changes...(or rather, that the chances are much greater for them to
> implement an extension to TE rather than PE).

> --
> Patrick H. Lauke

Sangwhan Moon [Opera Software ASA]
Software Engineer | Tokyo, Japan