Re: Phasing out mouse compatibility events on tap?

Comments inline.

☆*PhistucK*

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Arthur Stolyar <nekr.fabula@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi PhistucK,

>> These compatibility events can be considered as the 'legacy Pointer
>> Events'. You can rely on them instead of registering events for every
>> pointer inputs.
>>
>> While these can be a problem when you do implement event registration for
>> every pointer input, this is (unfortunately? fortunately? I am not sure)
>> atypical.
>>
>> The short term way of improving this would be to add a property on
>> compatibility mouse events that regards them as simulated and the long term
>> of improving this would be Pointer Events.
>>

> Pointer Events are good, but we do not talk here about them.
>

>> I think adding this developer toggler would be bad for two reasons -
>> - It encourages touch (or specific input) only implementations (you get
>> better performance if you disable compatibility mouse events and your
>> *primary* audience is smartphones with touch screens, so this is enough.
>> The hell with the rest).
>>

> This is possible aready by only using touchevents and do not using mouse
> events. Touch events does not has backcompatibility already, so if you will
> add right now only touch events, then desktop sites with mouse will not
> work anyway.

Right, but this gives developer an incentive - use touch events, disable
compatibility​ mouse events and you get better performance.

>> - It can interfere with third party scripts you may add (even analytical
>> ones), or any code that you do not control.
>>

> Yes. This is why this choise whould be on developer side, not on browser
> side. So developer can disable compatibility events or not. This is only
> optimization and not one should/might use it.

This is problematic, too. You may not know whether third party scripts use
them or not​ and these issues are usually hard to diagnose when you are not
familiar with the situation ("I used this to get better performance but I
do not really understand the changes it causes, I just copied and pasted
it").