Re: [webvtt] Spec editing

Hi Simon,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> I'd like to propose (and implement) some changes in the spec editing
> department for WebVTT. Feedback appreciated.
>
> * Convert to Bikeshed. Both for personal preference and I think it's better
> at handling cross-spec xrefs, and it doesn't suffer from FOUC when loading
> the spec.

Sure!

> * Stop using https://github.com/foolip/webvtt-webhook - I don't know what we
> should do instead but I don't particularly fancy maintaining a custom
> webhook for WebVTT. Anne van Kesteren has offered to maintain a webhook if
> we were to move the spec to WHATWG. Personally I wouldn't mind that, but I
> don't have strong opinions about where the spec should live.

Don't forget that there are two groups involved with the publication
of WebVTT: the CG and the Timed Text WG.

WebVTT was never published through WHATWG, but always through W3C CVS
at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/html5/webvtt/ .

By publishing the editors draft to http://dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/ ,
we didn't need to have a separate W3C editors draft from the WHATWG
one.
Also, the standards docs which go to http://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1/ are
more easily published through Echidna from CVS.

Having said this - if you have a better way of publishing to /TR/ ,
that would be very welcome.

> * Move from bugzilla to GitHub issues. It seems the barrier to entry is
> lowered by discussing issues in GitHub.

Depends on whose barrier we're talking about. The Web world would more
easily participate, yes. The TTWG probably not.
In the past we avoided having to run both. I personally don't mind
moving to GitHub issues (I prefer that bug tracker, too), but somebody
has to move all the issues. :-(

Cheers,