Re: Inband styling (was Re: Evidence of 'Wide Review' needed for VTT)

> On Oct 21, 2015, at 15:37 , Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On 21/10/2015 14:00, "singer@apple.com on behalf of David Singer"
> <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> No, it’s not hypothetical.  DASH/MP4/VTT relies on this, and it was (and
>> is) seen as a core advantage of VTT over TTML.
>
> How curious. Live streaming with DASH/MP4/TTML works splendidly - there
> were lots of implementations on show at IBC in September, of both coders
> and presentation systems, based on EBU-TT-D, which is the profile of TTML
> that is specified for HbbTV 2.0 and the DVB DASH profile. The dash.js
> player is one. Samsung had a prototype television that was decoding and
> presenting this format too - I'm pretty sure that there are others in the
> works. The BBC has prototyped an implementation built on gstreamer that
> works well also.
>
> What advantage was identified with VTT in this scenario?

Flexible granularity is one.  Live streaming of TTML means short TTML documents each of which describe a time interval. This means your segment size is basically that, or a multiple of it, and that is also then your minimum latency.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.